Getting a good night’s sleep may seem difficult at times, but you can create habits that encourage better shuteye. Start with these simple tips.
- Stick to a schedule. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day. Being consistent reinforces your body’s sleep cycle.
- Get moving. Regular exercise can promote better sleep, but avoid being active too close to bedtime.
- Watch what you eat. Avoid eating heavy or large meals within a couple of hours of bedtime.
- Watch what you drink. Avoid drinking soda, coffee or tea with caffeine in the late afternoon and evening; it can make it hard for you to fall asleep. And, even though alcohol might make you feel sleepy, it can disrupt your sleep later in the night.
- Limit daytime naps. Long naps can interfere with nighttime sleep. If you choose to nap, limit yourself to 30 minutes or less and avoid napping late in the day.
- Create a restful environment. Make your bedroom a place that’s ideal for sleeping. Consider using room-darkening shades, earplugs, a fan or other devices to create an environment that suits your needs.
Your Horizon BCBSNJ health plan gives you access to discounts on nutrition, fitness or other programs you can use to help improve your sleep. Visit Blue365 to learn more.