we can help see if you’re still eligible to enroll for 2018.
When does the 2018 Open Enrollment Period begin?
You can only enroll in a new health plan or change an existing plan during the Open Enrollment Period from November 1 to December 15, unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. The federal government shortened the Open Enrollment Period, so please review your plan options early.
What is a Special Enrollment Period?
A Special Enrollment Period happens when you have a qualifying life event (triggering event) that makes you eligible to enroll or change health plans outside of the Open Enrollment Period.
What is a qualifying life event?
- Having a baby, adopting a child, or placing a child for foster care
- Getting married
- Losing health coverage due to losing your job, graduating from school, etc.
- Losing coverage through divorce or legal separation, death of a family member, or change in dependent status
- Moving to New Jersey from another state
How do I enroll during a Special Enrollment Period?
First, see if you qualify for financial assistance; 80% of our members did.*
If you DON’T qualify for financial assistance:
Be ready to provide:
- A credit or debit card for your first month’s premium.
- Supporting documentation proving that you’ve had a qualifying life event. Coverage will not be effective without this proof.
For a complete list of qualifying life events, the timeframe to apply and the supporting documentation you’ll need, download our
If you DO qualify for financial assistance:
Your enrollment application will be automatically sent to the Health Insurance Marketplace for approval. They will let you know what supporting documentation you need to provide, where you can submit it, and the deadline date for submitting it.
How long is the Special Enrollment Period?
This depends on which qualifying life event you’ve experienced. Generally, you have sixty days after the qualifying life event to apply for coverage. For loss of coverage, you can also apply sixty days prior to the event.
*Applies only to members who purchased on the Health Insurance Marketplace.