Can mindful meditation improve your physical health?
Practicing mindful meditation can have positive effects on your mind and body, boosting your overall health and well-being.
Practicing mindful meditation can have positive effects on your mind and body, boosting your overall health and well-being. Recent studies have reported these surprising physical health benefits for people who practice mindful meditation:
- Lower blood pressure for people with prehypertension compared to those who only tried progressive muscle relaxation techniques.
- Better cognitive scores for patients with Alzheimer’s disease who had mindful meditation training for two years compared to those who did not practice meditation.
- Significant improvements in heart capacity and slower heart rates for people with heart disease who practiced mindful meditation and received the same traditional medical treatment as people who only received traditional medical treatment.
- The potential to help prevent and treat coronary disease when coupled with traditional medicine.
- A healthier immune system that can help fight HIV, cancer and other diseases that require robust immune cells.
- Supports the treatment of mental health and addiction, including drug, alcohol and eating disorders.
Meditation can help promote a healthier lifestyle, but it’s not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Talk to your doctor if you have questions about how meditation can help you.