Know the signs of a heart attack
Do you know the signs of a heart attack? Would you recognize if you or someone else were having a heart attack?
Heart attack signs and symptoms include:
- Chest pain or discomfort: Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
- Pain or discomfort in the shoulder or arm
- Shortness of breath
Women often have different symptoms, which can include:
- Feeling much more tired than usual, for no clear reason
- Heartburn, nausea or a burning feeling that seems unrelated to food
- Lightheadedness or faintness
If you think you or someone near you is having a heart attack:
- Call 911 immediately.
- Do not drive yourself or the patient to the hospital. First responders can start life-saving steps in an ambulance while on the way to the Emergency Room.
- Have the patient stop all activities.
- Loosen clothing, such as ties and belts, that may restrict breathing.