Risk Adjustment In Depth
Learn more about the benefits of coding specificity and you can optimize results for your practice.
How coding specificity will impact you:
- Informed care practice. Supported by coding, claims-based analytics can help provide solutions and strategies for health care interventions and identify patients for disease and care management programs. More importantly, it helps to identify practice patterns and reduce variations, when clinically appropriate.
- Accurate projection of medical expenditures for risk-sharing. Providing better insight on the true risk associated with patients, coding specificity impacts provider ability to project medical expenditures, based on health care utilization, for a given population. Coding specificity is critical for providers to successfully prepare for or further engage in risk-sharing arrangements.
- Less paperwork, lower administrative burden. Accurate coding will minimize practice disruptions from both medical record requests and claim resubmissions, making resources available for other important practice initiatives.
How to get the best results:
- Adopt technologies like electronic health records or voice translation software to improve accuracy and efficiency.
- Fully document all applicable conditions for each patient you treat by including the appropriate ICD-10 codes on every claim submission.
- Engage clinicians to accurately capture primary conditions and present co-morbidities, particularly in more complex cases.
- Involve coders and office staff to ensure the use of coding best practices.
- Standardize coding processes to minimize disruptions to the billing workflow.
|The following organization:||Has been selected to gather risk adjustment information for:|
|Cognisight||Initial Validation Audit (IVA) vendor selected to gather medical records on behalf of Horizon BCBSNJ.|
|Inovalon||Medical chart retrieval and coding for patients enrolled in Medicare Advantage and commercial health insurance plans offered by other Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield plans related to risk adjustment. In addition, Inovalon will be providing in-home assessments for patients enrolled in Horizon BCBSNJ commercial, Medicare Advantage and Horizon NJ TotalCare (HMO SNP) plans related to risk adjustment.|