Chronic Care Program
Horizon BCBSNJ’s Chronic Care Program is a free, voluntary service that offers care coordination and guidance to our eligible members or their covered dependent(s) when faced with a serious illness or condition. The Program helps members or their covered dependent(s) with chronic conditions better manage their health and improve their quality of life.
Enrollment in our Chronic Care Program offers eligible members:
- Access to a Care Manager with expertise in the member’s condition
- Support from a team of health professionals, including a registered dietician, social worker, behavioral health specialist and pharmacist
- Assistance in navigating the health care system, including understanding medical benefits and getting the appropriate care when he or she needs it, based on your treatment plan
- Educational mailings
Components of the Program
The Program components reinforce your treatment plans through one on one support from our Care Managers, who are all registered nurses. Our team of Care Managers can help your patients understand their chronic conditions and improve their health.
Eligible conditions for enrollment in the Program are as follows:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) – members 30 years of age and older diagnosed with COPD (includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema).
- Heart failure – members 18 years of age and older diagnosed with heart failure.
- Diabetes – members of all ages diagnosed with diabetes.
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) – members 18 years of age and older who have been hospitalized for cardiovascular conditions like angina or a heart attack (acute myocardial infarction) or have had procedures such as coronary artery bypass graft (also known as CABG) surgery, percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty or stent placement.
- Asthma – members 5 years of age and older diagnosed with asthma.
Referring Eligible Members
You can refer eligible Horizon BCBSNJ and Braven Health℠ members to the Chronic Care Program by:
- Completing the enrollment form; or
- Calling the Member Services telephone number located on the back of his or her member ID card.