Advanced Imaging Program
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield has entered into an agreement with AIM Specialty Health to help manage certain advanced imaging and sleep study related services for our members enrolled in certain National Account self-insured groups.
If you need an MRI or a CT scan, it’s important to know that costs can vary quite a bit depending on where you go to receive the service. Sometimes the differences are significant — anywhere from $300 to $3000 — but a higher price doesn’t guarantee higher quality. If your benefit plan requires you to pay a portion of this cost (like a deductible or coinsurance) where you go can make a very big difference to your wallet.
That’s where this Program comes in — Horizon BCBS’s Program powered by AIM does the research for you and makes it available to help you find the right location for your MRI or CT scan. Here’s how the Program works:
- Your doctor refers you to a radiology provider for an MRI or CT scan.
- Your doctor contacts AIM, who works with your doctor to help make sure that you are receiving the right test — using evidence-based guidelines.
- AIM also reviews the referral to see if there are other providers in your area that are high quality but have a lower price than the one you were referred to.
- If AIM finds another provider that meets the quality and price criteria, AIM will give you a call to let you know.
- You have the choice, you can see the radiology provider your doctor suggested OR you can choose to see a provider that AIM tells you about. AIM will even help you schedule an appointment with the new provider.
This Program gives you the opportunity to reduce your health care expenses (and those of your employer) by helping assure that you receive the right advanced radiology services when they are necessary and selecting high quality, lower cost providers or locations. No matter which provider you choose, there is no effect on your health care benefits. We are bringing this Program to you to give you information that helps you to make informed choices about where to go when you need care.