Important Health Coverage Information for Your 2019 Taxes
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), you’re required to verify on your federal income tax return that you, and your spouse and/or individuals you claim as dependents, had qualifying health coverage (referred to as “minimum essential coverage”) for some or all months during 2019.
In addition, beginning in 2019, under state law, New Jersey residents must have purchased health insurance, or pay a penalty to the state.
Horizon BCBSNJ is required to report this information to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the state of New Jersey for tax year 2019.
What is Form 1095-B?
Form 1095-B provides information about your Horizon BCBSNJ health insurance coverage to help you properly prepare your federal and state tax returns. You will receive Form 1095-B because either you bought your coverage directly from Horizon BCBSNJ (not through HealthCare.gov) OR you have fully insured Horizon BCBSNJ coverage.
Form 1095-B reports the names, addresses and Social Security Numbers (SSNs) of individuals covered under a fully insured health plan, and the number of months each member had coverage from January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019. You do not need to attach Form 1095-B to your federal or state income tax return(s).
What information is listed on Form 1095-B?
Form 1095-B includes the following information for you and, if applicable, your covered dependents:
- Last four digits of the SSNs
- Date(s) of birth (if SSNs are not available)
- Months of fully insured health insurance coverage with Horizon BCBSNJ
What do I need to do?
- When you receive Form 1095-B, review the form for accuracy.
- If your information is incorrect, please call Member Services at the number on the back of your member ID card.
- Talk to your tax professional for information about how to complete your tax return. Horizon BCBSNJ cannot provide tax advice.
For more information
Horizon BCBSNJ wants to make sure you have the information you need. If you have questions about Form 1095-B, visit HorizonBlue.com/faqs and select Social Security Number Collection and Reporting from the dropdown menu, then select Form 1095 B.