My Member ID Card
Your member ID card is your key to getting access to quality health care through Horizon BCBSNJ’s large networks of doctors and hospitals.
Easy Access to Your Member ID Card 24/7
What is on my member ID card?
There is a lot of important information on your member ID card. Here’s what it all means.
- Member name – In most cases, this will only show the subscriber’s name, not the covered dependent’s name. The doctor and hospital will accept this card for you and your covered dependents.
- Member ID number – Your member ID number is made up of a series of letters and numbers. It will be the same for everyone covered under your Horizon BCBSNJ plan and will remain as your ID number for as long as you are the subscriber of the health plan. Generally, the numbers after the 3HZN are what doctors and hospitals will need from you. The prefix (the first three letters/numbers before the 3HZN) is used by Horizon BCBSNJ to route claims for processing.
- Coverage verification data – Doctors and hospitals need this information to check eligibility and submit claims. They can also sign in to the provider website to verify your coverage.
- Primary Care Physician (PCP) name, if a PCP is required by your plan.
- Name of your Horizon BCBSNJ plan – You will need to know this when looking for participating doctors and hospitals in the Doctor & Hospital Finder.
- Copayment information – This will show only if your plan includes a copayment. The copayment is how much you pay, if applicable, each time you get care, treatment or services. The amount may vary depending on where you receive care (i.e., hospital, primary doctor or specialist). Your copayment is not your coinsurance amount. Some member ID cards will also show your coinsurance and deductible amount, if this applies to your plan.
- Suitcase logo – If you have the “PPO in a suitcase” picture, it means you can get in-network care when traveling outside New Jersey from a doctor or hospital who participates with the local Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield Plan. If you have an empty suitcase logo, nonemergency care received outside of New Jersey will be covered as out-of-network.
- Member and provider claim filing information.
- Indication of whether your Horizon BCBSNJ plan is insured or self-funded – This has to do with how your employer, if applicable, administers your Horizon BCBSNJ health plan.
- Website address – Go online for information about claims, benefits, and the exclusive tools and resources available to you. Remember to register to access these tools and resources.
- Important phone numbers for you and your doctors.
- Logo indicating you have prescription drug coverage through your Horizon BCBSNJ health plan.
What if I can’t find my member ID card?
If you have not received your member ID card yet¹ or you lost it, don’t worry. Simply sign in and click ID Cards to view and print an image of your card, or request a new one. You can also text “GetApp” to 42272 to download the HorizonBlue app to view and share your member ID card. Doctors and hospitals will accept this image of your ID card. Your doctor and hospital staff can also look up your ID card, eligibility and benefits online.
¹Typically, you will receive your member ID card within seven to 10 business days after your enrollment has been processed. The image of your ID card and a coverage validation letter is available online and on the HorizonBlue app within two to three business days.