Six questions to ask when your doctor orders tests
During an exam, your doctor may recommend that you undergo a test or procedure to better understand your health or diagnose a medical condition.
Ask your doctor the following questions so you can choose the most appropriate treatment option and place for the test or procedure:
- Why do I need to have this done?
- Who will be performing the test or procedure?
- Will it be done in your office, at a hospital or somewhere else?
- If the test or procedure covered under your insurance
- How much of the cost you’ll be responsible for
- Is the doctor, hospital or laboratory is in the Horizon BCBSNJ network
After you have the test or procedure be sure to follow up on your results. Ask your doctor when you can expect to get the results and if you need to schedule a follow-up appointment.
It’s critical that you understand your medical test options, whether they are covered by your insurance and what each test involves to ensure that your health care needs are met.
This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.