How to find a doctor who fits your needs
Choosing a Primary Care Physician (PCP) who will know your medical history and coordinate your care is important. Even if your health plan doesn’t require you to choose a PCP, having a primary doctor to care for you can help you stay healthy.
Your PCP will:
- Identify and treat common medical conditions.
- Provide preventive care and counseling on lifestyle choices.
- Help coordinate specialty and follow-up care.
When looking for an in-network doctor for your care, you may want to consider the following questions:
- Is the doctor board certified?
- Does the doctor have the training or experience to meet your needs?
- If you need to be hospitalized, can the doctor admit you to the hospital of your choice?
- Are the office hours convenient for you?
- Is it easy to get an appointment?
- Is the office staff friendly and helpful?
- Does the office return calls on a timely basis?
Find an in-network doctor near you.
You can also use the Quick Search tool on the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs for information about doctors’ education, training and board certification.