State of New Jersey Injured Worker
Horizon Casualty Services (HCS) manages the workers' compensation program for the State of New Jersey.
If you suffer a job-related illness or injury, your supervisor or HCS will refer you to an authorized doctor for treatment. HCS works with your doctor to plan your timely and safe return to work. If your injury requires emergency care, you will be sent or taken to a hospital for treatment.
Ill or Injured on the job? Here’s what to do.
Follow these easy steps if you are injured or become ill as a result of work you perform on your job:
- Report your injury or illness to your supervisor immediately. Your supervisor or HCS will refer you to an authorized doctor.
- Your supervisor notifies the State of New Jersey, Division of Risk Management, of your injury or illness.
- Visit your authorized treating doctor who will examine you, treat your condition and coordinate your medical care, including referring you to a specialist, if needed.
- Your HCS workers’ compensation case manager is your personal service representative. Call your case manager at 1-800-985-7777 with any questions or concerns. Your case manager remains in close contact with you and your doctor.
- The Division of Risk Management will be in contact with your supervisor to ensure that you can return to work promptly and safely.
- You can obtain the medication prescribed by your authorized doctor at any New Jersey pharmacy that participates in the HCS pharmacy network.
No out-of-pocket costs
When you use HCS-authorized participating pharmacies, doctors, and other health care professionals and services for treatment of your work-related injury or illness, you will have no out-of-pocket costs. The HCS program ensures that you receive the medical care you need to recover as fully as possible.
However, if you seek medical care from medical professionals, or use pharmacy plans who do not participate in the HCS network, or receive medical or prescription services not authorized by HCS, you may be responsible for the full cost of the services received or you may be responsible to reimburse the State of New Jersey for the cost of non-authorized, out-of-network treatment, and for prescription medications that were not authorized or obtained at participating pharmacies.
Your rights and responsibilities
You have a right to voice complaints and receive information about the medical professionals who treat you. You are responsible for using medical services authorized by HCS and for filling any prescriptions related to your work-related injury at participating pharmacies with your HCS identification card. You are responsible for providing appropriate information needed to treat your injury or illness. Please follow the instructions of your medical professional regarding the treatment plan established for you.
In case of emergency
In case of a medical emergency, call 911 and go to the nearest Emergency Room. Report your injury to your supervisor as soon as possible within 24 hours.
HCS wants you to be satisfied with the medical care you receive. Please call us at 1-800-985-7777 with your feedback and opinions. We will make every effort to resolve any concerns you may have.