Horizon Casualty Services, Inc.'s 'Top Doc Health Care Value' Strategy Boosts Employee and Insurer Well-Being
Have you ever heard the term “doctor’s doctor?” Those doctors are considered the best of the best — the ones that physicians go to based on doctor-to-doctor word of mouth. However, it can be difficult even for physicians to find the right specialists. And ordinary patients generally have little information to go on beyond practice reputation for courtesy, cleanliness and convenience.
The most effective workers’ compensation (WC) PPOs are not just about medical savings; they are about enabling people to receive the right care at the right cost and achieve the right outcomes. This is why it’s so important for WC PPOs — especially in states like New Jersey that allow patient steerage for life of claim — to create streamlined referral pathways to the best orthopedists.
“At Horizon Casualty Services, we have the most comprehensive WC data trove in the state, and more than 25 years of experience working with New Jersey musculoskeletal-focused providers. And we leverage these strengths to help our clients’ adjusters connect WC claimants to top orthopedists easily and efficiently,” says Ilene Wachs, President, Horizon Casualty Services, Inc. (HCS).
Referral to Top Docs Is Key
With 66 percent of WC medical expenses related to surgeries, getting the first orthopedic referral right is vitally important. Insurers know that referring to an unsuitable orthopedist is a critical path event likely to delay recovery, prolong lost work time and increase overall claim costs.
Identifying Top Docs and Effective Care Direction Achieves Critical Objectives
The unique HCS WC health care value strategy known as the Outcomes Focused Network (OFN) helps WC insurers refer claimants requiring orthopedic care or early intervention pain management to top docs within the HCS WC PPO network.
HCS WC OFN Top Docs Selection Criteria
- Demonstrated use of evidence-based medicine
- Conservative approach to surgery and opioid prescribing
- Care approaches resulting in appropriate length of disability and lost work time within Official Disability Guidelines (ODG) parameters
- Consistent use of in-network resources
- Administrative efficiency, including timely initial appointments and medical reports following office visits
HCS Makes Appointment Scheduling Easy for Claim Adjusters - at No Additional Cost - and Includes:
- Dedicated scheduling team for orthopedic, early intervention pain management, PT and radiology appointments
- One business-day turnaround from receipt of claim adjuster referral to appointment scheduling
- Assurance that appointments will be scheduled with OFN providers
- Claimant and claim adjuster notification when appointments are scheduled
- Bilingual schedulers to effectively assist Spanish-speaking claimants
HCS Provider Search Streamlined and Precise
- Provider search tool features value-based sorting with OFN providers at the top of search results for adjuster convenience.
- Providers are graded on in-network utilization metrics.
- Orthopedic active practicing subspecialties are included in search results (for example, shoulder, knee, spine).
HCS Results Say It Best
- Medical care delivered through the OFN program is at or close to 100 percent in-network, including ASCs, assistant surgeons, anesthesia, post-operative care and PT.
- Exceptional PT performance benchmarked by ODG and use of comparative provider analysis.
- Quality assurance approach includes a multi-dimensional assessment of provider performance to ensure positive medical outcomes for patients and helps to effectively control costs for payers.