A message from Ilene Wachs, President, Horizon Casualty Services, Inc.
The need for reliable, high-quality health care is important now more than ever as we face challenging and uncertain times related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Horizon Casualty Services (HCS) remains committed to helping your claimants receive appropriate care for their work-related injuries. As the number of COVID-19 cases in New Jersey and surrounding areas continues to rise, HCS is monitoring the situation closely.
Rest assured, HCS has a business continuity plan in place to ensure our business operations are stable and resilient. Despite the challenges ahead, I am encouraged by the strong sense of community within HCS and its parent company, Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey.
I want to provide you with an update on the HCS Provider Network.
- Appointment Scheduling — Our network providers are adapting their approach to patient care and weighing medical necessity versus patient risk when determining appropriate treatment for claimants. In general, routine appointments are being postponed with some exceptions based on the level of risk and/or acuity. Hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers are rescheduling elective surgeries, including spine surgeries to focus on critical care at this time. However, many HCS providers continue to schedule appointments. Although, everything is subject to change as the COVID-19 public health crisis is assessed.
- Outcomes Focused Network (OFN) — Our OFN providers are working closely with us to schedule appointments so they can continue to provide consistent, high-quality, evidence-based care. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for help if claimants need help with appointment scheduling.
- Telemedicine — Many providers are offering telemedicine visits as an alternative to face-to-face treatment. This approach can be effective for some specialties, such as follow-up appointments for physical therapy. We expect more providers to offer telemedicine visits as we continue to navigate the current crisis.
- COVID-19 Testing — New Jersey continues to expand access to COVID-19 testing.
HCS is developing the capability to identify providers who offer telemedicine services in its electronic Provider Search Tool and in an alternative format available upon request.
We are here to support you to ensure that your claimants are able to receive appropriate medical care.
Please continue to contact your Account Liaison with any issues or concerns. You may also email Michael Mahoney, Manager, Client Services or Margaret Wright, Director, Account Services at if you have additional concerns or urgent matters.
Please get the latest COVID-19 news from credible information sources, such as:
- World Health Organization
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- National Institutes of Health
- The New Jersey Department of Health
We hope you, your families and your employees stay safe and well.