Preventive Care: Now More Important Than Ever
In these difficult times, it’s been easy to put off the things we need to do to stay healthy. Whether it’s because of concerns about COVID-19, busy work schedules, homeschooling children — or all three — your employees may be postponing needed annual checkups, recommended immunizations or even cancer screenings.
But, now more than ever, preventive care should be a top priority. We want to help our members achieve their best health, and that means getting the recommended screenings and immunizations to avoid getting sick.
If your employees have been putting off care, they should know that many doctors now offer telemedicine appointments, which provide the chance to get medical advice anytime, anywhere, even from home. For certain conditions, patients can use telemedicine to discuss symptoms and medical concerns, receive a diagnosis, learn about treatment options and even get a prescription from their doctor.
Telemedicine options: Primary doctors, Horizon CareOnlineSM and 24/7 Nurse Line
Telemedicine may be a good option the next time an employee comes down with the sniffles, an itchy rash or has a question about using a certain medication. Employees covered by your Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (Horizon BCBSNJ) health plan may:
- Call their primary doctor to ask if telemedicine appointments are offered and how to get started.
- Speak with a U.S. board-certified, licensed doctor by video or chat, 24/7, no appointment needed. Horizon CareOnline lets your employees get convenient medical care online, anytime.¹
- Talk to someone on our 24/7 Nurse Line, at 1-800-711-5952 (TTY 711), or visit Nurse Chat and Telemedicine to get reliable health information for getting and staying well.
For some preventive care, an office visit is necessary
For immunizations, screenings and the like, your employees may need to make an office appointment. And, doctors, dentists and other health care facilities are taking precautions to make sure their patients can safely get the care they need. Precautions include:
- Disinfecting surfaces thoroughly
- Reducing the number of patients in the office at any one time
- Requiring masks for patients and staff
- Practicing social distancing
- Administering temperature checks
¹Your covered employees may not all have access to Horizon CareOnline. The details of your health plan coverage are in your plan documents.
Seeing an in-network doctor can save money
When your employees get preventive care from in-network doctors and other health care professionals, most preventive care services are covered with no additional out-of-pocket costs. To find out what’s covered, your employees can sign in to the secure member web portal at HorizonBlue.com or use the Horizon Blue app.²
Horizon BCBSNJ is here for your employees, now and always
We encourage our members to make a commitment today to put their health first and get the care they need, in-person and virtually.
In addition to the information provided above, resources for your employees include:
- Your Health in Focus: Educational articles that offer valuable preventive health information.
- Emails to members on topics like the importance of getting a flu shot, how preventive care can save your life and ways to get care.
- Valuable health information on your journey to better health.
- Visit our Doctor & Hospital Finder to find doctors who participate in our network.
² Text GetApp to 422-272, or go to the App Store® or Google Play™ to download the Horizon Blueapp.