Horizon MyWay HRA
Learn how an HRA can help you plan and pay for health care costs throughout the year.
We want to help you manage your health and your health care expenses. A Horizon MyWay HRA is a financial account that works with your health plan. Your employer owns and funds the account. You use the money to pay for qualified medical expenses.
HRA structures vary, but there are some common elements, including:
- Your employer funds the HRA to help cover a portion of your deductible or out-of-pocket expenses.
- After you see a doctor, the office sends a bill (claim) to Horizon BCBS to process.
- The claim is sent to your HRA and paid automatically if the expense is eligible and there are funds available.
Examples of Eligible Expenses
With an HRA, your employer decides which medical expenses are eligible. It’s a good idea to check your plan coverage before receiving care to make sure you can use your HRA for your medical expense. However, the following medical expenses are usually eligible:
- In-network doctor visits
- Inpatient or outpatient hospital care
- Diagnostic exams
Examples of Ineligible Expense
- Family or marriage counseling
- Cosmetic procedures
- Personal items such toothpaste, lotions or shaving supplies
- Herbs, vitamins and supplements
- Non-prescribed over-the-counter medicines (except insulin)
- Any other item or service that isn’t used for medical treatment and care as defined by the IRS