Horizon BCBSNJ Invested Over $8.1 Million in Healthier Communities in 2016
Horizon BCBSNJ is making a positive difference in the lives of millions of state residents.
The 2016 Corporate Social Responsibility Report details the various ways in which the Company was able to contribute to the communities we work and live in, including:
- $4.2 million in grants from The Horizon Foundation for New Jersey. Signature initiatives include:
- Kids’ Oral Health Program – a two-year program to improve oral health-related awareness, education, prevention and treatment for young people up to the age of 18 years;
- Breathe Easier with Asthma Management (BEAM) – a collaboration with the Boys & Girls Clubs in New Jersey that supports asthma education and awareness efforts; and
- Healthy U – a partnership with the New Jersey YMCA State Alliance to prevent childhood obesity.
The Foundation made 94 grants in 2016 including support for the Liberty Science Center, the Nicky Fifth Foundation for the creation of a New Jersey-based children’s book, Nicky Fifth Fit, and the New Jersey Theatre Alliance.
- $3.6 million in corporate giving, charitable contributions and financial support of local organizations through event sponsorships and collaborative partnerships, including a five-year partnership with the New York Red Bulls that will expand shared efforts to promote community engagement, health, fitness and good nutrition. Horizon BCBSNJ and RWJBarnabas Health, in partnership with New Jersey native, professional golfer and PGA Tour member Morgan Hoffmann, also launched Healthy Steps NJ, an educational campaign to inspire children and adults to lead healthy and active lifestyles.
- 3,472 hours volunteered by Horizon BCBSNJ employees and more than $284,000 in matching funds for employee contributions.