Horizon BCBSNJ Invested Over $8.1 Million in Healthier Communities in 2016
August 18, 2017
Applies to: All markets
Working with community partners to keep children healthy; generously supporting local organizations that connect New Jerseyans to life-saving health services; and donating time, talent and resources to make New Jersey communities stronger and more vibrant. Details on these and other ways that Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey is making a positive difference in the lives of millions of state residents can be found in the just-released 2016 Corporate Social Responsibility Report.
“As a New Jersey-based company for 85 years, Horizon continually strives to be a responsible corporate citizen that enriches the lives and health of the state’s residents,” said Robert A. Marino, Chairman & CEO of Horizon BCBSNJ. “I am proud of what we have been able to accomplish through our charitable efforts, and applaud our 5,500 employees for consistently demonstrating their passion for giving back to the communities where they live and work.”
The report lays out the results achieved by Horizon BCBSNJ’s Corporate Social Responsibility Department in 2016, including:
- $4.2 million in grants from The Horizon Foundation for New Jersey. Signature initiatives include:
- Kids’ Oral Health Program – a two-year pilot program to improve oral health-related awareness, education, prevention and treatment for young people up to the age of 18 years;
- Breathe Easier with Asthma Management (BEAM) – a collaboration with the Boys & Girls Clubs in New Jersey that supports asthma education and awareness efforts; and
- Healthy U – a partnership with the New Jersey YMCA State Alliance to prevent childhood obesity.
The Foundation made 94 grants in 2016 including support for the Liberty Science Center, the Nicky Fifth Foundation for the creation of a New Jersey-based children’s book, Nicky Fifth Fit, and the New Jersey Theatre Alliance.
- $3.6 million in corporate giving, charitable contributions and financial support of local organizations through event sponsorships and collaborative partnerships, including a five-year partnership with the New York Red Bulls that will expand shared efforts to promote community engagement, health, fitness and good nutrition. Horizon BCBSNJ and RWJBarnabas Health, in partnership with New Jersey native, professional golfer and PGA Tour member Morgan Hoffmann, also launched Healthy Steps NJ, an educational campaign to inspire children and adults to lead healthy and active lifestyles.
- 3,472 hours volunteered by Horizon BCBSNJ employees and more than $284,000 in matching funds for employee contributions.
If you have questions, please contact your Horizon BCBSNJ sales executive or account manager.