Doctor Appointment Checklist
You and your doctor are a team. People who have a strong relationship with their doctors tend to be healthier and more satisfied with their care. Here are some tips to get the most from your next doctor’s visit.
Before you go
- Know your medical history. Bring along medical information, such as test results and medications you are taking, including prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and herbal supplements.
- Make a list of questions you have concerning your symptoms, condition and treatment.
During your appointment
- Discuss your current symptoms and go over your list of questions or concerns.
- Make sure you understand what your doctor is telling you. Don’t be afraid to ask questions about something you don’t understand or something your doctor hasn’t covered.
After your appointment
Taking care of your health doesn’t end when you leave your doctor’s office. Ask yourself, Did my doctor:
- Schedule any follow-up appointments before I left the office?
- Talk with me about my symptoms so that I understand the information provided?
- Actively listen to and address my concerns in terms I understand?
- Encourage me to participate in making choices about treatment options?
- Ensure that I understand the medicines I’m taking, including how to take them and possible side effects?
- Summarize my plan of treatment, tests and any follow-up care?
Being prepared for your appointment is important to getting the care you need. Use this checklist as a tool to help you get ready for your next appointment.
ID: EC001829B (1118)